Total Pageviews

Sunday, July 31, 2011

Lemon Blueberry Muffins

I know, another recipe so soon, what is wrong with me. It's called having sick kids and having to stay at home. I am totally avoiding the huge pile of ironing that is calling me and the sound of the ringing washing machine that is telling me that the washing is ready to hang out. It is so much more fun cooking and listening to the radio and winning movie tickets. Yes my 7 year old thinks I am gold at the moment. I am not a real muffin fan, but these are well, yummy and almost a little bit healthier than the average muffin. They are sort of healthier, but I wouldn't get too carried away with eating more that one, even though you might want to. I picked this recipe up at the back of a book that I finished reading last week. The main character in the story kept making these for breakfast, so I guess the Author thought it only right to give the reader something to do once the book is finished and to satisfy the palate.

Makes 12 regular-sized muffins.
125g cream cheese
1 teaspoon lemon juice
Zest of 1/2 lemon
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups plain flour
3/4 cup caster sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 eggs
1/cup milk
1/4 cup canola oil
1 cup fresh blueberries

Preheat oven to 180. Line a muffin tray with muffin cases.
In blender,(I used my hand-held) mix cream cheese, lemon juice, lemon zest and vanilla till smooth. In seperate bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder and baking soda. Slowly add the dry ingredients to the cream cheese mix in the blender. (The mix goes very dry, but don't worry) Add eggs, milk and canola oil. With a spoon, fold in blueberries. Fill muffin cups. Bake for 30 - 35 minutes.

NB: I used olive oil instead of the canola as it was all I had at the time. The muffins turned out really good, with a crisp outer edge and soft on the inside. The recipe said to cook them for 35, but mine were ready at about 30 minutes, but it can depend on your oven.

I also made a cream cheese frosting. I used the left over cream cheese tub about 125g, added about 2 tablespoons of icing sugar, one tablespoon of sour cream and a lovely squeeze of lemon to your liking. Blend all together with a mixer and ice when cooled. Another tip that I can give you is to make sure your eggs are at room temp and the milk, it just gives the muffins a softer finish.

These are really easy to make for a morning tea, or just to indulge because you can!
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment